

In the spirit of honoring Grandparents this weekend, I'd like to mention my grandmother, Marie, and my grandmother and grandfather, Peggy Jo and George. Growing up most view grandarents as sources of limitless love, joy, and acceptance. They are always ready with a spoiling hand to offer that extra sweet or a couple dollars to stash away...or spend right away if you so please. I feel fortunate to have had such fond memories and experiences with my grandparents. As I have grown older, I have come to appreciate the legacy and wisdom that all of my grandparents have been able to share with me. Gma Peggy and Gpa George just celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary and that alone is a testament and model for endurance and commitment. I came across this photo of them in their early days of marriage, as a young military couple stationed in Garmisch, Germany. What makes it even more meaningful, is that Matt and I (as a young married, military couple) have a picture in roughly the same place in Garmisch, Germany, without even knowing this one existed. Funny how we do indeed "follow in the steps of our forefathers." The second picture is from their recent Alaskan cruise in celebration of their 55th!! My other Grandma, Marie, has worked in the Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation and Counseling arena for the past MANY years and just from my limited exposure in school to exactly what type of work that entails, her spirit of strength, calm and grace is inspiring. Also, amazingly, when Kilian was born, he had 7 Great Grandparents and 4 Grandparents all to welcome him. What a special thing for Kilian to know as he grows older. So in the spirit of appreciating family everywhere...Happy Grandparents Day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment