
So the first day we arrived to our new rental home, it was raining....which provided quite the first impression on the property. Let me first explain, that the property is about 3 acres...only the first acre is really visible...the back two are woods and I never plan on venturing into them. The house sits about midway on the first acre...so land in front and land in back of the actual house. Not much grass....more sand with patches of weeds and large trees. We do have a few cute little patches of nice grass immediately surrounding the house but that is it.Well, we were told when we viewed the home in May that there were some drainage issues with the new development on this road and that water rain through the back of the property...which really meant through the back yard. Far enough away from the house that it is not really a safety concern but close enough to "enjoy" the raging 4 foot wide by 4 foot deep river view during storms. Quite something to watch...just glad I don't own it! The parish (LA is divided up in Parishes not counties) was out the day after I requested assistance and dug out a new culvert along the front and down the other side to try and redirect some of the flow...but you can only fool with mother nature to a certain extent...water flows where it flows. They could not attempt to fix anything on the land bc it is privately owned but helped as much as they could.
So....in the end....here is what the view looks like in abscence of rain. I'll try to get some pictures of the water next time. It is just ugly and potentially a hazard...we'll just be staying clear! The "riverbed" begins at the top of the property, runs all the way down the side and gets at its largest/deepest point right where you can see in the pic. The parish guy explained to me that the owner has made two attempts (see two drains) to channel the water....but still not what they, the parish, told him he needed to do in order to fix it.
The wise words of the VexCon exterminator guy from A&E's show "The Exterminator" come to mind, "Sometimes I think Louisiana is just not suppose to have people." The company is based 2 hours away from us!
Sidenote: I do find myself airing a high amount of complaining...which I usually don't do. I really am trying to make the best at our adapting process! The humor I bring in sharing these experiences is therapeutic at some level!!
2 comments:
So...I got caught up on your blog posts...and all I really have to say is.... ☺☺☺ CUTE WALLPAPER! ☺☺☺
Okay, okay...don't get me wrong. I did Laugh Out Loud because you are such a talented writer. I love, love, love reading your stuff. And again, as I said before, you should just move back to Kansas. You are really affirming my decision to say put. Love you, miss you!!!!!
Post a Comment