Monday, October 6, 2008
Oz Fest Rocked...or Not?
Don't be alarmed. I have not taken a sudden turn to the "dark" side and started attending Ozzy Osbourne Music Festivals...although...I am sure that would be MUCH more eventful than our jaunt to Wamego, KS after church yesterday to attend the Annual OzFest. For those of you unfamiliar with Wamego, it is a quaint little town who decided to make a name for itself and is home to the Oz Museum, which houses the largest, highly valued collection of Wizard of Oz memorabilia. Very cool little museum for a one time visit. But this festival had recieved so much publicity we figured it was like a street festival with vendors, food, entertainment, etc...well, if you consider a sheep, a llama, a couple Totos running around, a wannabe Glinda, and life size skeletons made out of milk cartons for sale a street festival, then you better make plans to attend next year. Book a hotel now! We were remarkably disappointed. There was a glimpse of hope, as we crossed the street towards an "ice cream" sign (mind you, the ice cream was great) but the place was a art gallery in the process of being renovated, smelled of caustic chemicals and the man scooping ice cream must have been trying to embody the "wizard" himself, bc he would duck into the freezer and scoop out the ice cream without letting anyone see inside. It was a huge empty room, with a man, a card table and a freezer. I did get to the Oz Winery, which is worth the trip anyday. Overall, the day left me craving a good dose of Oz, NYC style...WICKED!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, I didn't go, nor have I ever been....
but are you sure it wasn't just in a wind-down mode since you did go on Sunday...the third and last day of the event?? There was a parade..and a few of the actual remaining munchkins, etc. Maybe you just missed the good stuff!
Oztoberfest...more like Ozboringfest... haha. No really, I talked to people at work about it, and apperently this year was horrible compared to previous years. Unfortunatly, in order to "see" the munchkins, you had to pay, so that's a no go in my book.
Danielle
I dont knwo what you are talking about there was TONS to do at the OzFest. Widmar found fun in the little kids park riding on the horse thing. :) You forgot to add the odor coming from the oz ice cream man. He was working hard I guess. Hey it was all in good company, you can never beat that. :)
Post a Comment